Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I've been trying to put together a blog post for some time and I'm getting close to posting it. I think I will divide it up into parts though because it is pretty long and I know when I am faced with reading a long blog post or article, I usually end up just skimming it and don't feel I have the time to spend reading the whole thing thoroughly. So here is the first part of what I would like to post. Stay tuned for more entries!

I have always been a happy person as far back as I can remember. I don't think I have ever been depressed. I have had down days of course but I don't think I would ever call it depression. I don't bear grudges for very long and am not offended very easily. I am always laughing at myself and sometimes it drives my husband crazy at how easily I laugh at the mistakes that I make. I feel that life is too short to get angry at myself for mistakes that we all make because we are human. Quite often I will appear angry to my kids and then turn my head and smile or laugh because I am just appearing angry to get them to do something. I think that my attitude towards life has helped me a lot throughout this trial of cancer that I am going through. I loved President Hinckley and how happy he always was and that he was always cracking jokes. He is one of my heroes and I hope I can always emulate his attitude towards life.

When I was hospitalized for several days following my surgery I had the opportunity to interact with many different nurses and healthcare workers. I will always remember one of the nurses that took care of me one night. I think it was Friday night (my 3rd night there). I had two night nurses that were very interested in talking with me and hearing my story - how I discovered the cancer and the treatments that I had been through up to that point. One of the nurses after she heard my story asked me a question that made me stop and think. She asked, "How can you be so happy and still laugh after all you have been through?" I didn't realize until she asked me that question that I really am a happy person and that I love life, no matter what gets thrown at me. I have thought about that question a lot since that night and I hope to answer that question a little over some of the next posts that I write.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment